It’s not me, it’s YOU. What are your landlords’ responsibilities?

When you find your new home, and you pay rent, there are certain responsibilities that fall under your remit, and there are those that your landlord must ensure are carried out. It’s good to know what your responsibility are and which are your landlords. This will help with ensuring that you have a professional and stress-free relationship.

Keeping you safe

Your landlord needs to make sure that your property is safe and hazard free. They must make sure that the gas and electrical equipment is installed property and that this is maintained on a regular basis. They also need to produce a Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for your home. This provides evidence that the property is a rating of E or above. You should also be given a copy of the How to Rent Guide. You should have this if you are on an assured shorthold tenancy which began or was renewed after 1st October 2015.

Fire Safety

Your landlord must ensure that the property has fire and carbon monoxide alarms.

  • A smoke alarm must be fitted to each story of the property where there is a room used as a living accommodation.
  • A carbon monoxide alarm should be equipped into every living room which contains a fixed combustion appliance (excluding a gas cooker)
  • They should be in full working order and repaired or replaced if they are found to be faulty. You should notify your landlord if this is not the case.

Your Deposit

Your deposit must be kept in a government approved tenancy deposit scheme (TDP). This is the case if you rent your home on an assured shorthold tenancy. Your deposit can be registered with three different schemes:

How much should your deposit be?

The deposit should not be more that 5 weeks’ worth or rent (where annual rent is less than £50,000). If your rent is more than £50,000 than this rises to 6 weeks’ rent.

Repairs to your home

Your landlord must ensure that your property is habitable and in a good condition. They have the right to inspect your home to assess what work needs to be carried out. Normally, they will have to give you 24 hours’ notice of their intention to enter the property, however if it is an emergency common sense should prevail and you should work with your landlord to allow access. You have the right to stay in the property whilst work is being carried out. As a general rule, your landlord will be responsible for the following type of maintenance work:

  • the structure of your property
  • basins, sinks, baths and other sanitary fittings
  • heating and hot water systems
  • water and gas pipes, electrical wiring, water tanks, boilers, radiators, gas fires, fitted electric fires or fitted heaters.

Obviously, your landlord can not rectify a problem if they do not know it exists, therefore let your landlord know as soon as an issue arises.

If your landlord does not carry out the repairs, you can start a claim for repairs under £5,000 through the small claims court. You can also agree to carry out repairs yourself and negotiate deducting the costs from your rent.

Tenancy Agreement

Ideally your landlord should provide you with a tenancy agreement. This is a contract between you and your landlord. As long as you pay rent and follow the rules of the agreement you are allowed to live in the property. This agreement can be written down or can be a spoken agreement. Tenancy agreements are either fixed-term or periodic. The agreement will also outline how and when the rent will be reviewed.

Who is your landlord?

You should know who your landlord is. This includes their full name and address of the details of the letting agent. Make sure you have this information.

More information about what happens if your property has a fire can be found here. Also, read our useful article on who is responsible for contents insurance here.

This information is of a general nature and does not constitute legal advice.

Next Steps

If you are looking for your next home, we may have the right place for you. Contact us below for more help:

020 3286 6468

This information is of a general nature and does not constitute legal advice.

Similar Posts